Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Tool Library

I thought I'd post a link to an article I read a few weeks ago that I thought was pretty interesting.  It's about a tool lending library, here's the link to the story from the Minneapolis paper.   For a yearly fee, members will have access to the library's collection of household tools.  The article states that about 60 tool libraries have opened across the country, although I wasn't familiar with any until I read this article.  It makes me wonder what other types of libraries there are around the country and world.  I know the ECFE program in our school district has a toy lending library for those families enrolled in classes.  We always appreciated that when the kids were younger.  It was fun to check out a big, loud toy and keep it for a week or two, and then return it without having it be in our house forever!         

4 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. I can't tell you how many tools I've had to buy, only to use once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, rather funny that my most recent blog post was about libraries that offer access to more non-traditional things. There is an NPR story that talks about all the different sorts of things that libraries lend out, including one public library that lends out fishing poles.

    http://www.npr.org/2013/08/13/211697593/beyond-books-libraries-lend-fishing-poles-pans-and-people

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool....a tool lending library!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Mary! I've never heard of this. What a thoughtful service!

    ReplyDelete