Saturday, May 16, 2015

First Day

So this is my first post on my first ever blog!  My name is Mary Hames.  I started in the MLIS program at Valdosta State in the fall of 2013.  I plan to graduate this December.  My husband and I live in New Ulm, Minnesota with our three children.  I grew up on a farm near Waseca, Minnesota, which is about an hour away from where I now live.  I received my undergraduate degree from the University of Minnesota at Morris.  I majored in biology with a minor in chemistry.  I work in the IT department of an analytical testing laboratory, particularly doing database stuff.

My Web 2.0 technology background exists mainly because of my job.  Personally, I haven't ever had a twitter account or a blog.  I have used Pinterest, but right now I don't have a lot of free time to spend with it.  Until a couple of weeks ago I hadn't done any personal Skyping, so my experience with Skype had been limited to my work.  I do enjoy the web programming that I've done.  I'm definitely no expert, but I've taken classes that have dealt with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, and I've really enjoyed making websites for those classes.  I'm looking forward to this class helping me explore social media in ways that I haven't yet!

8 comments:

  1. It does take time, doesn't it? I'm not sold on social media yet-maybe this class will give me a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Donna. I'm curious if I will have a different perspective as well after this class.

      Delete
  2. Hello Mary, this is Jessie (have to put this disclaimer since it posts as my email name lol). Social media is actually really interesting to observe in a meta sense. Seeing what trends and how people disseminate information is fascinating to me. To see some huge snafu on Twitter suddenly spread through FB, Tumblr, and then to the news is mind boggling. Looking forward to working with you in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pinterest is the bomb.com! I have dabbled in blog writing but nothing very consistent, and I've been on most of the social media accounts for awhile but again I'm not very active. I prefer to people watch :) Your background is awesome! It actually blends into the background of my computer and is a little trippy so it looks like it was made that way. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael! Which by the way is also my 7 year old son's name, and my husband's middle name, so I'm pretty much already a fan of yours!

      Delete