Thursday, June 4, 2015

HOMAGO

I read an article today for my paper for Assignment #4 that talked about “HOMAGO” guidelines.  I wasn’t familiar with the term HOMAGO, so I decided to write a little blog about it.  The article states that HOMAGO (Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out) is a “learning theory based on research devoted to uncovering how youth learn and interact in their environments— in school, out of school, and in youth programming and spaces offered in libraries and museums”.


HOMAGO highlights the idea that youth need opportunities to feel comfortable before trying an activity, which can then lead them to successfully learning a skill and then in the end actually making things.  With teens, HOMAGO recognizes that activities normally viewed by adults as nonproductive behavior, such as chatting with friends and playing around on phones, actually contribute, and even sometimes are a necessary part of the creative learning process.  I thought it was a great theory.  I know I’m not a teen by a long shot, but I think the same theory applies to me!

Larson, J. (2014). A Learning Lab Makes It in St. Paul. Young Adult Library Services, 12(2), 22-24

1 comment:

  1. That's a really interesting theory! It definitely meshes well with the idea of the library being a place to go for more than just formal reasons. Which I like a lot. With libraries implementing makerspaces, hackerspaces, and fab labs that too I think would fall under your HOMAGO. It definitely would apply to me as well!

    ReplyDelete